Sunday, June 25, 2006

Bin musician Charlie was the naked punter

More British nudity this time from Cambridge....



Bin musician Charlie was the naked punter

THE naked punter who startled picnickers on the banks of the Cam has exposed himself . . .

as Charlie Cavey, a student famous for busking inside a bin.

As reported in Tuesday's News, Charlie's cheeky antics were spotted on the Backs in Cambridge when he took a boat out for a spin with friends, wearing just a pair of sandals.

The 27-year-old, who is a student at Anglia Ruskin University, said he first took to the Cam in his birthday suit in 1998 - and still enjoyed every minute of it.

He said: "I like taking my clothes off and I like making people laugh, so the naked punting kills two birds with one stone.

"I love it when I punt past the students and they all say 'that's disgusting', but I can see they're laughing along as well.

"I cover myself up when I pass groups of kids - I have a younger brother so I know what's acceptable - but most people find it hilarious and it's purely about amusing people.

"Talking of which, I loved the Newsopinion piece asking whether the naked punter could be identified by the length of his pole - that was spot on."

Charlie hit the headlines in April when a cast-iron bin he had bought for £600 three years ago as a busking stage was stolen.

He has become a familiar sight around the Bridge Street area in the summer, playing his guitar and singing hits by Tom Jones and Elvis to entertain tourists.

A police spokesman said Mr Cavey's antics on the river had not led to any complaints - but the force would have a duty to investigate if anyone was offended by his nudity.

He said: "There could be concerns about a naked punter outraging public decency, but we would only investigate if a member of the public was outraged."


22 June 2006
Cambridge News

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails